Researchers have decided which universities are more likely to get you a job when you graduate

£9,000-a-year will all be worth it

You’re born, you go to school, you do A-Levels and you pay £9,000-a-year for a degree. For what? A job, a career, a sad lunch at your desk and Friday beers, that’s what. But how likely are you to get that all important job at the end of it? Or, if you can’t be bothered with the taxing life of a graduate, will your degree get you onto a masters?

The university that makes all the blood, sweat and toil worth it for? Keele. Yep, Keele. It’s in the midlands, near Stoke-On-Trent. Me neither. But, a ridiculous 93.8 per cent of undergraduates are either employed or in further study. Top for student experience in the Sunday Times’ uni rankings as well. Touché Keele, touché.

In second place is Surrey with 93.5 and in third Hull with 93.3. And if that didn’t surprise you, this will.

Turns out if you study really hard, manage to ace an Oxbridge interview by peeling an orange in one or whatever they make you do, and survive a gruelling three years there, your chances of a job aren’t nearly as high as others. Cambridge only manages 88.9 per cent of graduates into a job or further study, and Oxford just 86.6 per cent – making them the third worst in the country.

That honour goes to Royal Holloway, that London uni you don’t really count as a London uni, with 85 per cent. They save the blushes of Newcastle, with 85.7 per cent.

The below table represents the percentage of people studying their first degree who got a job – any job – six months after their degree or went into further study, all from the Higher Education Statistics Agency. How does your uni fare?