Sorry vegans, it turns out even fake fur is made from animal products

tips

looks  • 

A study shows some have goat hair and leather in them

New research by a US Scientist tells us even fake fur isn’t vegan friendly.

The study was carried out by Dr David Jones, a leading patents expert in the USA.

He found that faux fur can contain animal products such as wool, leather and even goat hair. It can even have silk ingredients – composed of fibroin and produced by certain insect larvae to form cocoons.

Fake fur designers often outsource production to China, attracted by cheap labour.

Mark Oaten, CEO of the International Fur Federation, said: “Animal rights groups and vegans should look carefully at this study and think again when they claim fake fur is animal free.

“It is yet another example of the false claims they make and makes a nonsense of their campaigns to get designers and consumers to switch from real fur to fake.”

Arnaud Brunois from The Faux Fur Institute said: “Regarding the study we would need to have a closer look at it but one thing is certain: faux fur is made from an oil byproduct. It is a smart use of resource and still wiser than bringing to life millions of animals just for a the production of fur.

” Fashion designers who switch from real to faux certainly make the best decision by refusing to support intensive farming. For two years in a row, the demand in Faux fur has been increasing 10 per cent and more than 225 fashion brands have used including luxury maison like Gucci, Armani or Michael Kors.”