Katie Hopkins sued for £150k, and she doesn’t want you to know about it

She tweeted an apology article at 2am

The Mail Online has just forked out £150,000 in libel charges to a Muslim family, after columnist Katie Hopkins falsely accused them of being terrorists. The problem is, they really don’t want you to know about it. 

Hopkins, who used to work at the Sun before being hired by the Mail Online last year, has previously come under fire for describing migrants as ‘cockroaches’ and ‘feral humans’.  She’s also regularly offended people with obesity and mental health problems.

This same Hopkins described a completely innocent family of being al-Qaeda. Her column titled ‘Just because Britain’s border security is a Mickey Mouse operation you can’t blame America for not letting this lot travel to Disneyland – I wouldn’t either’ was published 23 December last year. It claimed that innocent brothers Mohammed Tariq Mahmood and Mohammed Zahid Mahmood were extremists in connection to the same terrorist group responsible for 9/11.

11 members of the Mahmood family were stopped by US authorities at Gatwick Airport on 15th December before boarding their flight to America for a planned holiday to Disneyland.

In her column, Katie sided with the US Homeland Security for denying the family to board the plane, claiming she too wouldn’t let ‘this lot’ in. Hopkins claimed that the family were lying about their trip because obviously they weren’t actually going off on their hollibobs, but instead, because they were Muslim, were clearly going to plan the next 9/11 – but this time on Splash Mountain.

After paying out thousands of pounds in settlement charges for falsely labelling the family as terrorists, as well as picturing the family home in a second article claiming one of Mahmood son’s, Hamzah, was publishing extremist content online, The Mail Online had to pay out £150k.

The Mail Online apology article, published at midnight on 19th December, was shared by Hopkins on her Twitter at 02:07 that morning. Nothing says “I’m sorry” like publicly apologising in the dead of the night when most of the public are asleep, before tweeting later: “That’s lovely. Merkel was at a ceremony honouring migrants whilst one of her pet asylum seekers mowed down 12 German nationals.”

The apology read: “We are happy to make clear that Tariq Mahmood and Zahid Mahmood are not extremists, nor do they have links to Al Qaeda. They were travelling to the USA with their families to see one of their brothers for a holiday in California and they had indeed planned to visit Disneyland as part of their trip.”

Thank God that one year on, and a whole 365 days of people around the Mahmood’s thinking they’re fundamentalists likely causing them unparalleled anxiety and embarrassment, the Mail Online and loud-mouth trash talking Katie Hopkins are ‘happy to make clear’ the family aren’t terrorists. Cheers guys, your sincere words have really patched everything up.

The apology continued.

“In addition a further article in Katie’s column on 29 December (‘A brave Muslim tried to warn us their week about the extremists taking over his community. What a tragedy it is that our PC politicians would rather not know’) suggested that Hamza Mahmood (Mohammed Tariq Mahmood’s son) was responsible for a Facebook page which allegedly contained extremist material. Our article included a photo of the family home. Hamza Mahmood has pointed out that he is not responsible for the Facebook page, which was linked to him as a result of an error involving his email address. We are happy to make clear that there is no suggestion that either Hamza nor Taeeba or Hafsa Mahmood (Hamza’s mother and sister) have any links to extremism.”

I’m sure the Mail and Hopkins’ heartfelt apology will mend people’s attitudes towards Hamza, Taeeba and Hafsa, who after this apology will easily be able to shake off perceptions that they’re al-Qaeda recruiters or explosives enthusiasts.

The conciliatory article ended: “We and Katie Hopkins apologise to the Mahmood family for the distress and embarrassment caused and have agreed to pay them substantial damages and their legal costs.”

Despite kinda apologising finally for being a total bitch for spreading fake news about innocent people, Hopkins has continued her hate fuelled brigade today describing the Berlin lorry driver as Merkel’s ‘pet asylum seeker’.