The Tab’s most beautiful names 2016: The results

Good news for Olivia and Alex, bad news for Nancy and Shane

Every year, The Tab gifts you with the most important referendum of all: which is the most beautiful name in the country?

Over the last week, we asked you to vote for the most attractive names in the UK – and 17,000 of you answered our call. You can see the full list of boy’s names here, and the full list of girl’s names here.

We’ve already announced that the winner for the boys was Oliver, and we’ve already crowned Sophie for the girls, but here are the rest of the results in full.

The boys

For the boys, the winner was clear – Oliver took 769 votes, double that of second place Alex. Third and fourth place were a much closer affair, with the GBBO-inspired Selasi losing out to Tom by only 13 votes.

Not the first time he’s come in fourth place

Here’s the full top 10:

1. Oliver
  2. Alex
  3. Tom
  4. Selasi
  5. Freddie
  6. Matt
  7. Adam
  8. James
  9. Charlie
  10. Ben

At the bottom end of the scale, Dele was the unluckiest with only 0.08 per cent of the popular vote. Other losers included Shane, Gavin, Marc, Kurt, Craig and Fabian.

The girls

The girls was a closer competition than the boys – Sophie won with 5.93 per cent, while Charlotte narrowly beat Emily to second place with 3.94 per cent over 3.87 per cent.

Emily came in at a close third

Here’s the full top 10:

1. Sophie
  2. Charlotte
  3. Emily
  4. Alice
  5. Alex
  6. Lucy
  7. Emma
  8. Olivia
  9. Rachel
  10. Georgia/Zoe (tied at 161 votes)

Less lucky were Rachelle, Candice and Nancy, all of whom received less then 0.2 per cent of the popular vote. Other losers included Maeve, Edith, Bianca, Andrea and Libby.

So if you’re called Sophie or Oliver, well done. If you’re not – there’s always next year.