This Kate Winslet speech is the most inspiring thing you’ll hear today

tips

babe  • 

I feel better already

Most BAFTA speeches are pretty good, most are inspirational in some way, but this one from all round icon Kate Winslet is another level entirely.

Kate, who was long relegated to “fat girl” roles as a younger actress, speaks for every girl who ever felt down on themselves in the heartwarming video, which has been viewed thousands of times on Facebook.

Speaking to a crowd as she proudly displays her award, the actress says: “When I was younger, when I was only 14, I was told by a drama teacher that I might do OK if I was prepared to settle for the ‘fat girl’ parts – look at me now.

“And so what I felt like saying in those moments, to any woman who has ever been put down by a teacher or a friend, or even a parent – just don’t listen to any of it, because that’s what I did. I didn’t listen, and I kept on going, and I overcame all my fears, and got over a lot of insecurity, and I just kept doing it.

“Just keep believing in yourself.”

Kate went on to dedicate her award to “all young women who have doubted themselves”. The actress won the BAFTA for best supporting actress for her role in Steve Jobs earlier this year.

@rosielanners